A Tisket, A Tasket, Poetry in a Basket
April is National Poetry Month! Celebrate this all-ages event by picking up a goodie bag at the Circulation Desk beginning on Monday, April 5th. Inside, you'll find a plastic egg (with a hidden surprise!), a piece of chalk, and a basic instruction sheet. You'll be directed to:
- Crack the egg open to reveal your poetic fortune.
- Hold it close to your heart or keep it in your pocket.
- Visit the walkway in the front of our building (facing the street).
- Use the chalk to write down your fortune or any bit of poetry that you love. Feeling inspired? Make up your own!
- Add some doodles.
- Come back often to see what others have shared.
- Check-out a book of poetry from our collection, if you wish.
- Download the Poeta app from your phone's App Store. You can find daily poems, audio recordings, & more! We suggest that you begin each morning with a poem (before reading social media or the news). Poetry can add beauty to your days & help you "hatch" a new perspective.
Remember: "A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language" (W.H. Auden). If you're visiting the Library, you're at least halfway there!