The clock is ticking, and regardless of what school looks like for you this year – the unofficial End of Summer (Labor Day weekend) is upon us! So whether you’re jumping into school right away, or still have a couple of weeks, now is the time to squeeze in that last-minute family fun! The weather’s cooperating a little better these days for outdoor activities, and it’s usually pretty easy to social distance while you’re outside. Here are a few ideas for these last days of summer.
- Go fruit picking. Berries are done, peaches are past, but apples are just getting started!
- Pack up a picnic lunch and take a walk. Explore some of our local natural gems, like Borderland State Park, NRT’s Sheep Pasture, or even the Governor Ames Estate. Bonus: bring a book to read aloud together while you picnic!
- Take a bike ride! If you’re not comfortable with your kids on the neighborhood streets, check out the kid-friendly rail-trail bike path in Mansfield. Borderland is also a great place to explore on bikes, or if you’re up for a drive, check out the Cape Cod Canal path.
- Do a nature scavenger hunt. Play “I Spy” style as you take a walk, or print out bingo sheets like this one ahead of time to look for specific things. (There are plenty of other sheets online too; you can find something for any age!)
- Get a ball and just kick it around!