The Ames Free Library, in support of our mission and core values, provides free and open access to the internet by providing computer statiosn for public use as well as a public WiFi network. Additionally, the library does have several WiFi capable devices available for check out and use by our patrons. All use of the Ames Free Library's technology including but not limited to: desktop computers, laptops, kindles, Chromebooks and other mobile technologies, internet access both wired and Wifi, is subject to the below use policies and any and all use is subject to revocation at the discretion of the Ames Free Library Staff.
- All patrons wishing to use a computer must login at a destop screen with their Ames Free Library card. Computers may be used for a maximum of three sessions of up to 60 minutes each session per day per person.
- If you do not have an Ames Free Library card you may ask the reference librarian on duty for a guest pass. You are limited to 1 session of up to 60 minutes per day with a guest pass. (Or you may sign up for a library card to gain additional computer access)
- PLEASE SAVE YOUR WORK to a flash drive or cloud storage. If your computer times out, work is lost and not recoverable.
- Drinks must have a cover to prevent spillage.
- Do not shut down computers when you are finished.
- Commercial use or political lobbying is inappropriate.
- Transmitting threatening or harassing material is illegal.
- Viewing websites with explicitly sexual or otherwise inappropriate content is not allowed.
- Copying or downloading copyrighted material is illegal.
- Knowingly transmitting computer viruses is illegal.